Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hoarder Journal #1.

     I'm redoing my room. I realized a little while ago that this is something I've been putting off because of the amount of time I spend sitting around fantasizing about having my own apartment, but the likely-hood of that happening before the end of university is slim to say the least. The last time I re-decorated was the 6th grade, and it's safe to say my tastes have done some drastic changin'. There's no harm in a new paint-job, some alternative shelving units and furniture rearranging seeing as I'm probably looking forward to another 5 years here, if not a little more (depending on the job market).
     Here's the thing though; I have a lot of stuff. I am not the purging type and few would praise me on my excellent interior organizational skills. Boxing stuff up makes me feel like quite the hoarder. As I categorize things to go into storage while I mover furniture and prepare to paint, I am perpetually alarmed by how much stuff I have! Where and when did I get all this?
Here is some of the hoardy-type inventory excluding the bags of things headed for goodwill:

  • Sooooo much scrapbooking stuff. I don't scrapbook.
  • Purses! Sweaters! A CHEST full actually. If you're cold or need to carry anything of any size, come talk to me.
  • 15 inches of my hair from when I cut it in the 7th grade.*
  • 23 pairs of shoes. 
  • Toys! Toys! Toys! 2 boxes of "sentimental value" toys to be stored untouched and absolutely un-goodwilled in the basement, 1 box of "less attached but attached enough I have to give them to Jo so a stranger at value village doesn't buy them", 1 box "goodwill", 1 box "such good condition I don't feel badly giving them to kids I know (Jo included) as gifts".
  • Countless pictures that need to be labeled and organized by date.
   
     It's a pretty discouraging process cleaning everything out because it means spending a few days organizing things and spreading it out all over my floor, making it feel as though I'm doing more harm than good. But progress is being made! Slowly but surely. Actually I'm moving at  pretty decent speed.
This girl's tumblr has been good inspiration - a reminder that I'll get to do pretty things once I've boxed everything up, purged and plastered up the holes in my wall.

http://fuckyeahbedroomdecor.tumblr.com/

Back to work I go!

* Why do I have 15 inches of my hair you ask? The plan was to give it to "Locks of Love" or something similar. As it turns out, they do not accept dyed hair sooooo I still have it. But that's okay, it goes with the ponytail of hair that was once on my great grandmother's head that my mum keeps around.....


No comments:

Post a Comment